Welding work is cited as the cause of a fire on the roof of the Molded Fiber plant at 1321 Windsor Drive. The Clinton Fire Department was called to the plant about 4 o’clock Thursday afternoon for a ‘fire on the roof.’
Fire department crews arrived to find smoke coming from the building. The fire was located in the ceiling in the manufacturing area. The department noted that the sprinkler system helped keep the fire confined to about 25 feet of ceiling area. The cause of the fire was determined to be welding that ignited the roof insulation.
The building had been evacuated by the time the fire department arrived on the scene and not injuries were reported. The damage is estimated at about 50-thousand dollars.
The Clinton Fire Department responded with 2 ladder trucks, one engine and 2 ambulances with eleven fire fighters. Two additional off-duty fire fighters were called in to assist. Automatic mutual aid was provided by the Camanche Fire Department. Crews remained on the scene for two hours.